Pitta, when gets accumulated in the gastro-intestinal tract, having predominance of sourness causes Amlapitta. Amlapitta is the aggravated amla guna of pitta, i.e. disturbance in the natural sourness of pitta.
अम्लं विदग्धं च पित्तं अम्लपित्तं ।
मधुकोश – श्रीकांतदत्त
• Dislike for food
• Sour Burps
• Burning sensation in Throat
When do we need to eat?
• Breakfast– Early morning – 6 – 8 am
• Lunch– Noon – 12 – 1 pm
• Dinner– Evening – 6 – 7 pm
How often do we need to eat?
• Healthy and mild snacking is allowed every 2-3 hours between the meals.
• Do not eat anything after dinner.
• Only 1 cup of Golden Milk- Milk boiled with Turmeric can be consumed.
What do we need to do?
• Early Morning– Fresh Juice of pulp of Bottle gourd (ghiya) or Ash Gourd (petha).
• Replace Milk Tea with Licorice Tea (Mulethi Kadha)– after meal for its soothing effect
or Ginger Tea (Adrak ka Kadha)– Before meal, for balanced digestion of food, to drive off the dislike towards food- अरुचि.
• Chew your meals properly.
• Do not consume acidic foods– Consume alkaline foods. Our body produces enough acid from metabolism, that we don’t need to intake acidic foods. Body’s buffer mechanism works just fine on its own. Don’t disturb your enzymes for the sake of taste buds.
Consume 80% alkaline diet,
only 20% acidic diet.
• Let your skin breathe. Exercise, Sweat more. Perspiration is respiration for the skin.
• Breathe deeply. Carbon dioxide accumulated in the body is toxic.
• Avoid Antacids– They can give symptomatic relief, which is temporary, but the damage to our system is permanent.
• Try to lose weight, if you are overweight or obese.
• Yogasana– Vajrasana, Pawan-muktasana, Yogamudra on an empty stomach
• Pranayama– Sheetali, Sheetkari and Anulom-viloma
• Meditation– Meditate before going to bed and after waking up. We need to stay away from stress and stressful situations, maintain inner peace for our GIT to function nicely.
• Quit smoking and alcohol, if you haven’t done yet.
• Go to bed with an empty stomach. Eat at least 2 – 3 hours before lying down.
What do you need to consume?
Alkaline food items are anti-oxidants to the body, and neutralise the acid-causing free radicals in the body.
• Fresh Honey,
• Fresh Fruit sugar,
• Jaggery (गुड़)
• Rock salt- सेंधा नमक,
• Black Salt- काला नमक
• Desi Ghee- देसी घी,
for cooking and garnishing,
• Butter- unsalted, fresh, made from cow’s milk
• Fennel Water or Coriander Water
Soak fennel – saunf or coriander – dhaniya seeds in water overnight.
Sieve and drink this water in the morning.
What do you need to avoid specifically?
• Old Honey and Mustard Oil– Disrupt the harmony of Pitta with other doshas, therefore, should be avoided by the patients of acidity and in Pitta aggravating seasons.
• Alcohol & Smoking
• Carbonated beverages
• Coffee or tea (regular or decaffeinated)
• Fatty or fried foods
• Foods containing tomato, like ketchup, sauces, curries
• Tomatoes as salads
• Garlic & onions– They are good taste enhancers and digestion enhancers, but should be avoided if they trigger acidity.
• Spicy foods, such as those containing chilli or curry.
• Late night sleeping pattern.
• Don’t make haste. Slow down and don’t stress.