Diabetes is seen as one of the commonest debilitating lifestyle disorder. The symptoms of modern-day diabetes can be correlated with Prameha, as mentioned in the Ayurvedic texts. Acharya Charaka has specifically categorised Prameha in different types, depending upon the dominance of Doshas, characterised by symptoms.
The word ‘Prameha‘ is derived from
‘Pra‘ – meaning excess,
‘Meha-Ksharne‘ – meaning the passing of urine.
So, Prameha are a set of complex urinary disorders, marked by profuse and frequent urination, the difference being the different symptoms due to Dosha imbalance.
The aetiology involves genetic predisposition and improper diet and lifestyle. Vitiated Vata, Pitta, and Kapha violate the dushya like meda, rakta, shukra, vasa, lasika, mamsa, majja, rasa, ambu, ojas and in mutravaha strotasa (urinary system) leads to the manifestation of 20 types of Prameha. Increment or decrement in the proportion of combination of doshas, and dhatus are the causative factors leading to the various Prameha.
Vataja Prameha– 04 types
Pittaja Prameha– 06 types
Kaphaja Prameha– 10 types
Sehaja Prameha– Congenital Diabetes,
Out of these, modern day Diabetes, Type-II can be correlated with ‘Madhumeha‘ – a type of Vataja Prameha– where the affected individual passes out honey-like sweet urine, in profuse quantities.
Causes of Prameha-
आस्यासुखं स्वप्नसुखं दधीनि ग्राम्यौदकानूपरसाः पयांसि |
नवान्नपानं गुडवैकृतं च प्रमेहहेतुः कफकृच्च सर्वम् ||४||
Over-indulgence in the pleasures of –
- sedentary life,
- excess sleep,
Over-Consumption of –
- Soup of the meat of domesticated and aquatic animals and animals inhabiting marshy land,
- Milk and its preparations, especially curd,
- Freshly harvested crops- like wheat, barley, maize, paddy etc
- Freshly prepared drinks,
- Preparations of jaggery
Premonitory and Presenting signs and symptoms
मलिन दन्त – Tartar in teeth
हस्त-पाद दाह – Burning sensation of hands and feet
चिकना देह – Excess glossy/oily skin
तृष्णा – Excessive thirst
माधुर्यमास्य – Feeling sweetness in mouth
प्रभुत मूत्रता – Excessive urination – Polyuria
अविल मूत्रता – Turbid urination
मधु-समान वर्ण मूत्रता – Urine having colour of honey
स्वेद – Excess perspiration
अंग-गंध – Bad body odour
शिथिल-अंगता – Flaccidity of muscles
शय्या-आसन स्वप्न सुख – Liking to constantly lie on bed
शीतप्रियत्व – Desire for cold food & environment
गल-तालु शोष – Dryness of palate & throat
Complications of Diabetes-
As per the Ayurvedic texts, Prameha can be very difficult to manage once the complications begin to arise-
- Hyperacidity, Heart Burn, Sour Belching;
- Dizziness, Sleeplessness (Insomnia);
- Emaciation of body tissues; or Feeling of heaviness of the body tissues;
- Tremors, increased breathing;
- Uncontrolled elimination of urine;
- Indigestion, uncontrolled vomiting;
- Appearance of deep-seated Eruptions, ulcers.
Can Diabetes be cured completely with Ayurveda?
For curing Diabetes, one can always rely on Ayurveda, without any worry. Ayurveda is not just medicines, it is a way of life. Diabetes is one of the diseases that are difficult to be cured because Diabetes is a group of many systemic disorders, which manifest slowly. These slow-manifestations make curing a time-consuming task.
Different types of Diabetes have different complexities. The degree of cure depends upon the severity, presenting signs and symptoms, history of onset of disease, patient’s will to get better, his approach to disease, lifestyle etc. Acute diabetes can be easily cured with Ayurveda along with some lifestyle modifications. The complexities that come with chronic and genetic diabetes can be controlled and managed to a great extent. Correct combinations of Ayurvedic medicines can even help in reactivating the beta cells of the pancreas.
Ayurvedic treatment for Diabetes-
Patients suffering from Prameha are classified as
- Those who are obese and strong- treated with Panchkarma Therapies for the elimination of accumulated doshas.
- Those who are emaciated and weak– treated with Panchkarma Therapies for nourishment.
Proper therapy plan is prepared by the concerned physician, according to the patient’s condition and carried out under his strict observation. This is called as Shodhana (or cleansing techniques)
Vamana Therapy– Induced therapeutic emesis (vomiting) for the elimination of Kapha and treating diseases primarily due to Kapha dominance is observed to have positive results in case of Diabetes.
Another method is – Ayurvedic medications, a.k.a. Shamana, meaning mitigating the affecting doshas from the site of disease. These medications are prescribed after the examination of the patient, his power of digestion, the presenting symptoms along with other factors.
Both Shodhana and Shamana Therapies are unique for every patient.
Potent Ayurvedic Formulations for Diabetes (type-iI) Patients
- Vasantakusumakara Rasa : These tablets are classical remedy for Diabetes.
(1 tablet morning and 1 tablet in evening) with Giloy water (30 ml).
- Gokshuradi Guggulu : (2 tablet morning and 2 tablet in evening)
- Chandraprabha Vati : (2 tablet morning and 2 tablet in evening)
(Powder 2 tablets of Gokshuradi Guggulu and 2 tablets of Chandraprabha Vati and swallow with Chandanasava 15 ml of this medicine with 15 ml water.)
– These are effective against the renal complication and urinary discomfort due to diabetes.
- Sarivadyasava 15 ml of medicine with 15 ml of water to be consumed after meals breakfast and dinner. (For skin disorders due to diabetes.)
To be taken as prescribed by your Ayurvedic physician.
How to Prevent diabetes?
Just two things to remember regarding this-
- Be active in daily routine, and utilise the calories that are consumed on a daily basis; and
- Be Stress-free. Take a deep breath, and exhale slowly.
As far as one doesn’t have Congenital Diabetes (DM-Type 1), one can easily prevent diabetes.
Natural Ways to control Diabetes
- Right Food
- Right Exercise
- Right Thought
Seated Postures –
- सूर्य नमस्कार – Sun Salutations
- मंडूकासन – Frog Pose
- वज्रासन – Kneeling Pose
- पश्चिमोत्तानासन – Seated-Forward Bending
- अर्ध-मत्स्येन्द्र आसन – Half Lord of fishes
Lying Postures –
- हलासन – Plough Posture
- सर्वांगासन – Shoulder Stand Pose
- पवन-मुक्तासन – Wind-liberating Pose
- शलभासन – Locust Pose
- भुजंगासन – Snake Pose
- अनुलोम -विलोम – Anuloma-viloma
- कपाल -भाती – Kapaal-Bhaati
- नाड़ी -शोधन – Nadi Shodhana