Osteoporosis is diagnosed when the bones become weak, brittle and prone to fractures. A fall, mild bending over or coughing, or even routine activities, like sitting, standing, walking can cause bone-break.
The commonly affected sites are the hip bones, bones of wrist joint, spine and ribs.
- Calcium and Minerals Deficiency
- Malabsorption of Calcium and Minerals
- Junk Food or Poor Nutrition
- Gender: Females are more affected than males
- The wear and tear of bony tissue go on throughout life, but this process slows down with increases age. Due to this, bones tend to lose their density and become porous.
- Postmenopause, hormonal changes cause a rapid thinning and loss of bony tissue.
- Alcohol or Smoking
- Preserved Food Items
- Genetic Causes: If a positive family history is present, precautions must be taken –
Avoiding the above-mentioned factors as much as possible.
- Taking Calcium-rich foods – Cow’s Milk, Soy Milk, Almonds, Water-Chestnut, Figs, Green-leafy Vegetables, Sardines, etc
- Consuming Omega-3 rich foods – Flax seeds, Walnuts, Soybeans, Mustard seeds, Spinach
- Avoiding uncooked/raw meals
- Women should know the pros and cons of Hormone-Replacement Therapy, if they are considering to go for it.
Symptoms of Osteoporosis
In the initial stages of osteoporosis, particular symptoms are not visible. The affected person may experience:
- Weakness or the feeling of tiredness – generally people disregard these with health booster tonics
- Decaying gums and teeth
- Weak and brittle Nails and Hair
Gradual bending of the spine or feeling of shortening of height is observed in later stages of the disease. The condition complicates due to neglect.
Ayurveda for Osteoporosis
Bone is living tissue that is constantly being broken down and replaced. Improper lifestyle does not let the bones to receive enough nourishment to deal with the regular wear and tear of the bony tissues.
Ayurveda describes धातु पाक क्रम– The Channel or Process of Nourishment of Body Tissues. Good nourishment of the previous tissue leads to well- nourished subsequent tissues.
Bones are the abode for Vata dosha. The increase and decrease in the Vata Dosha is inversely related to the Bone tissue. When Vata dosha in the body increase, it leads to reduced bone density – Osteopenia, Osteoporosis. Likewise, when Vata dosha increases in the body, it leads to increased bone density – Osteopetrosis, or the stone bone. Ayurveda works with managing the levels of Vata dosha to treat the abnormalities with bones.
Treating osteoporosis with Ayurveda
- Abhyanga – Full body oil massage
- Sneha-paana – Oral administration of Ghee or medicated oils, processed with bitter and astringent herbs.
- Swedana – Sweating Therapy (Sudation)
- Basti – Therapeutic Administration of Processed Oil or decoction, administration through anal route.
This therapy targets on increased bio assimilation through intestines.
• Conservative Treatment
- Yograj Gugglu
- Rasna-Saptak Kwatha
- Saindhavadi Taila with Castor Oil
– Local application after providing steam to the affected body part.
• Useful Herbs –
- Guggulu – Commiphora mukul
– Natural Pain killer and bone-strengthener
- Erand – Ricinus communis
– Excellent in alleviating all problems caused by Vata.
- Dashmool – Root of 10 therapeutic herbs
– Works best in pacifying the Vata and restores overall health.
- Guggulu – Commiphora mukul
• Maintaining the Calm
• Yoga and Exercises
Weight-bearing exercises like mild weighed dumb-bells, Climbing of staircase, squats, leg presses can be done.
Our thought process has a significant effect on our body. It can cause disease, and it can alleviate a disease. To know more, Click here.
Osteoporosis is the condition which can be very painful and can have serious effects. Fractures can take a lot of time of heal and may even lead to other complications.
Right eating, right living, and right exercises can help prevent, mitigate and treat this condition.
on the positive note, we are always here to assist you. If you think you are at risk of osteoporosis, or you have been diagnosed with it, you can always consult here.