Amavata is a complex of multiple signs and symptoms, of which some symptoms can be correlated to Rheumatoid Arthritis. The Modern system of medicine regards RA as an auto-immune disorder which is difficult to treat. Our Ayurvedic Physicians made sure to treat the condition with a combination of ayurvedic medicines, and Panchkarma Therapy.
आमश्च वातश्च आमवात: ॥
Āmavāta– the disease is caused due to accumulation of Āma, the un-metabolised waste or toxins in the body, and aggravation of Vāta. These two, Āma and Vāta then contaminate the circulatory system and circulate with it throughout the body, contaminating the whole body.
Usually, this disease is also known as Gathiya or baay.
Causes Of Āmavāta
Misleading Dietary Habits
- Wrong food combinations in meals;
- Over-eating and eating before the previous meal gets digested;
- Excessive intake of saline, sour, pungent, alkaline and acidic, unctuous, hot and uncooked food;
- Excessive intake of curd, butter-milk;
- Excessive intake of kanji, vinegar, alcohol and wine.
- Sleeping during the Day
- Staying awake at Night
- Over-tiring the body with excessive exercises or complete lack of exercise
- Controlling the Natural Urges
Misleading Thoughts & Emotions
- Resorting to Anger, and frustration
- Grief, Jealousy
Pre-existing Disease Gives rise to RA
- Weak Digestive Fire
- Chronic Indigestion
Causes according to Modern Medicine
- The immune system attacks the lining of the membranes surrounding the joints- synovium
- Destruction of Cartilage and bones within the joints.
Progression Of Āmavāta
Symptoms Of Āmavāta
Common Prodromal Symptoms:
- Laziness, Lethargy, Fatigue
- Over Salivation
- Shifting Pains
- Tingling Sensation
Common Presenting Symptoms:
- Difficulty in Daily Activities
- Pain, Morning Stiffness in Affected Joints
- Inflammation in Affected Joints
- Rheumatic Fever
Symptoms may appear mildly or severely, treatments work best when the disease is diagnosed early.
Symptoms may be regular or intermittent, it is important not to ignore them, and inform your healthcare provider to help him treat and manage it more efficiently.
Complications Of Āmavāta
- Permanent deformity of small joints
- Restricted movement
- Involvement of Heart, lungs and brain
Is Āmavāta Hereditary?
It is found that Āmavāta is not hereditary, yet it appears to run in families. Similar environment and habits can be stated as an explanation behind this.
Diagnostics For Āmavāta
Few Blood Tests that may/may not conclude RA are:
- CRP – C-Reactive Protein – Inflammatory marker associated with RA.
- RA-Factor – Associated with Auto-immune disease, RA
- Anti-CCP – Anticitrullinated protein antibody test
- Hb- Haemoglobin is usually on the lower side, marking Anaemia
- ESR- Usually raised
The above investigations, may or may not show the patient positive for RA or Āmavāta, so it’s the doctor’s responsibility to carefully assess the symptoms, and start the treatment accordingly.
How Ayurveda Treats Āmavāta?
Ayurveda focuses on correcting the pattern that led to the disease, correcting the lifestyle and treating with medicines and the well-known Panchkarma. The Chronic condition does not have any cure, but it can be treated, to keep it from complicating further.
The most followed protocol for Āmavāta by Ayurvedic Physicians is:
1. Therapeutic Fasting with or without therapeutic digestion of Āma
2. Therapeutic Sweating – Dry Fomentation without application of oil to the body is done for assimilation of the Āma from the extremities to the bowel for easy excretion from the body.
3. Deepana – Pāchana – Igniting the Digestive Fire and ensuring proper digestion of meals.
4. Snehapāna – Ingestion of Castor oil in case of Abdominal pain, cramps and constipation. This is contraindicated in early symptoms of Āmavāta.
5. Virechana – Excretion of toxins from the colon, by therapeutically inducing loose stools.
6. Basti – Admission of medicated oils or decoction through anal route has the strength to extract the vitiated vāyu and excrete it out of the system.
7. Shamana Aushadhi – There are ample of combinations of Ayurvedic medicines against the symptoms of Āmavāta. One must consult a wise Ayurvedic Physician for devising the best treatment plan according to the presenting symptoms.
8. External Application on affected sites – Oil Application only to be done in case chronic conditions. Internal consumption and external application of oils in acute condition tend to further worsen the condition.
Some Useful Herbs
• शुण्ठी – Terminalia chebula
• गुग्गुलु – Boswellia serrata
• चोपचीनी – Smilax china
• पुनर्नवा – Boerhavia diffusa
• अश्वगंधा – Withania somnifera
• कुचला – Strychnos nuxvomica
• लशुन – Allium sativum
• भल्लातक – Semecarpus anacardium
• गुडुची – Tinospora cordifolia
• एरण्ड – Ricinus communis
- Castor oil 1-2 tsp + Haritaki Churna (harada powder) – 3 gms with warm water twice a day
- A decoction of Haritaki churna (Harada Powder) + 1-2 tsp of Castor oil.
(Above home-remedies are carminative and highly purgative. Therefore, avoid consuming this mixture in case of Pregnancy, IBS, Diarrhea, Tendency to loose stools)
- Jeera Detox Tea
- Consume 10-12 Black Raisins (soaked overnight)
- Regular 40-day consumption of leaves of Harshringar tree has proved to be beneficial in all kinds of arthritis
• Including mild exercises or mild yoga
• Deep Breathing Exercises
• Daily Meditation
• Early to bed at night, and waking up early
• Avoiding naps during the day
• Sesame oil massage before bathing with warm water
• Eating light meals, and on right time.
• Leg-to-Wall Pose
• Vrikshāsana – Tree Pose
• Shavāsana – Corpse Pose
• Surya Namaskara – Sun Salutations
• Sarvāngāsana – Shoulder-Stand Pose
• Kapāla Bhāti Prānāyāma
• Anumloma Viloma
• Deep Breathing Exercises
• Gyān Mudrā
• Prāna Mudrā
- Right eating at the right time is important.
- Having meals according to the digestive fire is recommended.
- Eat less after the sun gets down
- Warm water throughout the day
- Adding these spices and vegetables to the diet:
• हींग – Asafoetida
• जीरा – Cumin
• सौंफ– Aniseed
• लहसुन – Garlic
• अदरक – Ginger
• सौंठ – Dry ginger powder
• काली मिर्च– Black Pepper
• अजवाइन– Carom seeds
• सैंधा नमक – Rock salt
• सहजन – Drum sticks
• परवल – Pointed Gourd
• करेला – Bitter Gourd
• यव (जौं) – Barley
• कोदों – Finger Millet
• छाछ – Buttermilk
Things to be Avoided
• गुड़ – Jaggery
• Stale food
• Skipping Meals
• Exercises or sleeping after meals
• Food that is heavy to digest
• Controlling natural urges
• Taking stress and sulking in emotions
Our takeaway message for you is to be easy on yourself. Minor lifestyle changes mentioned above can make a big difference in the symptoms you may be feeling.
Talk to your doctor, or consult us regarding your symptoms. You can also ask your doubts in the comments section below.
Below are the links from our sister Website –
(Promoting Indian Systems of Medicines and Small Businesses)
Seasonal fruits and vegetables खायें क्योंकि इनमें पौष्टिक तत्व जैसे vitamins, minerals, iron, potassium, antioxidants पाये जाते हैं। यह सब anti-ageing factors हैं… To know more, click here.
80 जानकारी जिसका ज्ञान सबको होना चाहिए -योग, भोग और रोग ये तीन अवस्थाएं है। 2. लकवा ( paralysis ) का कारण stroke है, जो कि junk food, तला हुआ या… To know more, click here.
Brain is the computing system of the body. It receives signals, directs commands and controls our mental, physical and intellectual being. Our brain keeps us going. To know more, click here.
Osteoporosis is diagnosed when the bones become weak, brittle and prone to fractures. A fall, mild bending over or coughing, or even routine activities, like sitting, standing, walking can cause bone-break. To know more, click here.