Widely known as Amla, this herb has been used as the valuable ingredient in various Ayurvedic formulations for maintaining health. These fruits are the solution to our quest of staying young.
Botanical Name – Emblica officinalis
Family – Euphorbiaceae
English Name – Indian Gooseberry
Popular Name – Amla
Sanskrit Name – Amalaki, Amalaka, Dhatriphala, Sriphala, Vayastha, Amrit-phala
Distribution – Native to India, Nepal; Deciduous, Warm, Tropical and Sub-Tropical Climate
Part Used – Fruit usually, sometimes seeds
chemical composition of amalaki
Rasa Panchaka of amalaki
Taste (Rasa रस) :
- Predominantly Sour, Containing 5 Tastes, Free of Salty Taste
Qualities (Guna गुण) :
- Heavy – (Guru – गुरु)
- Dry – (Ruksha – रुक्ष)
- Cold – (Sheeta – शीत)
Nature / Potency (Veerya वीर्य):
- Cold – (Sheeta – शीत)
Taste Developed Through Digestion (Vipaka विपाक) :
- Sweet – (Madhur – मधुर)
Effect on humours (Dosha-Karma दोषकर्म) :
- Tridosha-shamaka (त्रिदोषशामक) – Calms down all three doshas, namely Vata, Pitta, and Kapha,
- Especially effective in balancing Pitta Dosha.
effects of amalaki
1. On Body Tissues (Dhatu – धातु) –
Rasayana – Rejuvenating effect on all the tissues of the body. Maintains health of the healthy individual.
2. On Body Wastes (Mala – मल)
- Mildly laxative,
- Fresh fruit acts as Diuretic, whereas,
- Dried fruit of Amalaki works by drying up the excess moisture in stools.
3. Other Actions –
- Curtails Ageing process (वयःस्थापन)
- Preventing and Curing Eye Diseases (चक्षुष्य)
- Aphrodisiac (वृष्य)
4. On Diseases –
- प्रमेह ~ Diabetes
- रक्तपित्त ~ Bleeding Disorders
- कुष्ठ ~ Skin disorders
- नेत्ररोग ~ Eye diseases
- अर्श ~ Haemorrhoids
- प्रदर ~ Leucorrhea
- रक्तस्रावरोधक ~ Prevents Bleeding
- अतिसार, प्रवाहिका ~ Diarrhoea, Dysentry
- ग्रहणी ~ Digestive disorders
- पाण्डु ~ Anaemia
Forms of consuming Amalaki
Amla Fresh Fruit
1-2 per day
Amla Juice - Fresh
10-15 ml per day
5-7 slices per day
1/2 -1 with meal
3gm - 6gm per day
1/2 -1 before breakfast
uses of amalaki
Single Herb uses of Amla -
- Consumption of fresh fruit daily (1-2 numbers) increases immunity and provides rejuvenating effect.
- Fresh juice of Amla (5-10ml) mixed with sugar can be taken in bleeding disorders.
- Fresh juice of Amla (5-10 ml) mixed with a pinch of turmeric powder and taken empty stomach is beneficial in Diabetic patients.
- Intake of Amla churna (3-6 g) mixed with honey helps in restoration of vision.
- External application of Amla paste on scalp promotes health and lustre of hair.
Ayurvedic formulations of Amla -
This popular bioactive health supplement is prepared with 50 nutrient-rich herbs and minerals. It curtails the course of ageing, promotes health and prevents diseases. This polyherbal jam is a metabolic tonic which revives the lost reserves of life force (ojas).
It contains Amla, Honey, Ghee (Clariied butter), and Mishri (Crystallised sugar lumps). Highly beneficial a a rejuvenating potion, especially effective in protecting eyes, liver, spleen and lungs. To be added to our diet before breakfast, this leha can be consumed throughout the year.
Ayurvedic iron supplement usually prescribed with ghee or honey, indicated in abdominal pain, indigestion, acidity, heart burn, constipation and other problems relating to Pitta imbalance. Continued consumption of this combination of Amla, Lauha Bhasm (calcined iron), and Mulethi churna (licorice powder).
Prepared with fresh juice of Amla, honey, Piper longum (Pippali), and sugar; it is indicated in Anemia, jaundice, cardiac diseases, cough, loss of taste, fever, arthritis, respiratory-related complaints like cough and asthma. This wine-like preparation stimulates the assimilation in the digestive system.
Amla - Home Remedies
- Consume: 2 tbsp of Amla Juice mixed with a quarter glass of water. Consume this in morning on an empty stomach.
- Local Application: Apply Amla Juice on affected area, let it dry, and wash off with normal water.
- 4 tbp of Amla Juice with equal parts of water. Consume daily in morning on an empty stomach.
- Paste of dry Amla seed powder and few Lemon drops- Apply over the scalp- Wash when dry.
- Nasal Drop: 1 drop of fresh Amla Juice in each nostril
- Local Application: Fresh Amla Paste over the forehead.
- 1 tbsp of Amla powder with warm water – Early morning
- Amalaki powder + Haridra (Turmeric) powder with bitter gourd juice daily can keep control blood sugar level.
- Application of paste of Amalaki on hair scalp nourishes the hairs and its shine.
- It is a good remedy to pacify Pitta conditions. Moravala is a formulation prepared from Amalaki fruit mixed with sugar syrup is the best remedy to pacify Pitta Dosha.
Scurvy- As a source of Vitamin C, serves as an effective remedy in vitamin deficit condition like scurvy. Daily intake of Amalaki juice/powder in diet overcomes this condition.
Beauty of amalaki
Power of amalaki
The takeaway Note
Vata vitiation leads to a reduction of the Asthi Dhatu resulting in thin and fragile bones.
When Asthi dhatvagni decreases due to vitiation of Kapha, it results in thicker and denser bones whereas vitiated Pitta affects Asthi Dhatu by accelerating the metabolism which leads to narrowing and weakness of bones.
This Post Has 28 Comments
Informative post ?
Valuable information about amla.
Home remedies of some problems are amazing.with the help of this article we are now able to know many uses of Amla.
We will apply this.
बहुत सुंदर आर्टिकल्स।हमे तो पता ही नहीं था कि आमले मै इतने सारे गुण होते है। इस बेहतरीन जानकारी के लिए गुरु के बहुत बहुत
सुक्राने है।हम जरूर इसको ट्राई करेंगे।
Very beautiful all the forms to consume Amla are shared. Thank you very much for helping us learn benefits of Amla in curing different ailments.
Thanks bahut sare benefits hai ye guru kripa se pta chala as a vegetable use karte hai
Thank you so much
Very Useful Information
Very informative article
Thank you so much as amla is available nowadays , we all can easily benefit from it .
Amla ke itne sare benifits.
Humne Amla ko daily lena start kiya hai. Bahut hi fayada hua. Abhi jaisa bataya hai waise hi try karenge. Thank you so much ?
सब तरह से लाभकारी है।ऐसी जानकारी के लिए हृदय से शुक्रगुजार हूं।आजकल चटनी के रूप में खूब use कर रहे हैं।हर तरह से आगे बढ़ाने के लिये आप जी के अनंत अनंत शुक्रराने
Very useful information thank you so much
amla ko itne sare tareeke se consume kiya ja sakta hai – ye pata chala
jarur try karenge thanks for giving such a useful information
Great information..we consume amla but not regularly..by knowing the benefits of amla i will try to use in my every day meal..really too much beneficial..i didn’t know..thanks a lot?
Very informative and knowledgeable!
Guru bhagwan ji ke anant shukrane hai jo amrit tulya amla ki importance and good uses bataye. Aapko koti koti Pranam.
Very informative post on Amla. We knew how Amla is beneficial for us but did not know the benifits in detail. Thank you for such great article.
A very useful and informative article on Amla. The health benefits are immense which were not known. By God’s grace having it every day in the morning in raw boiled form. The different forms of how to have it is also mentioned.
Very Informative and a well compiled article on the uses of Amla for various health benefit.
After having read the article we have increased our daily consumption of Amla.
Use of Amla seeds for lice treatment was new.
Thank you Bhagwanji.
Bahut hi usefull article hai bhagwanji.
Amla ke use aapki kripa se acche se samaz aaye. Hridye se shukrane
Radhe Radhe bhagwanji.
Very informative article. Though we are using Amla regularly and this year even during off season also yet so many benefits were not known. It is a sort of panacea for so many ailments.
Guru Bhagwan ji is opening pandora bos of knowledge for all of us that too in varied fields.
Anant shukrane Guru bhagwan ji
Very useful information
बोहोत ही उपयोगी जानकारी दी है आमला के बारे में बहुत शुक्राने bhagwanji आपके ?
Thanks for sharing so detailed significance of amla. After knowing so many benefits of it , will surely try to consume daily.
गुरु भगवान की कृपा से आंवले के इतने सारे यूजेस पता चला कैसे घर पर ही सब चीजें तैयार कर सकते हैं पढ़कर आंवले के बारे में बहुत सारी जानकारी पता चला बहुत ही सरल तरीके से बताया हुआ है आपके प्रेम के अनंत अनंत अनंत शुकराना
Very useful information thank you ayurveda.
Thankyou so much for such an informative article on uses and benefits of Amla in detail.To have amla juice empty stomach with turmeric is a great information as I am in pre diabetic stage and this will be a big support.Thankyou So so much.??
Very useful information.
Anant shukrane ?
Very very useful information.
A lot of thanks for sharing such useful information.
Comments are closed.