Shadanga Paneeya is an Ayurvedic formulation mentioned under the reference of Jwara Chikitsa, i.e., treatment of ~fever by Vagbhatta and Sharangdhara. This is a cooling drink, a boon for pandemic summer like this. It will keep the disease at bay, and fill you with a cooling freshness which is much needed in summers. As the name suggests, this formulation is a liquid consumable containing 6 products enlisted as follows-
|Name||Latin Name||Part Used|
(Motha, Nagarmotha, Ghana)
|Fumaria indica||Whole Plant|
|Vetiveria zizanioides||Roots; Rhizome|
|Pterocarpus santalinus||Heartwood, Leaves, Seeds, Bark|
(Shunthi, Saunth, Dry Ginger)
|Pavonia odorata||Whole Plant|
Benefits of Shadanga Paneeya
Shadanga Paneeya has been indicated in fever especially during summers because of its ani-dehydrating and cooling properties; it refreshes and prevents confusion and delusions. Shadanga Paneeya can also be used –
- Loss of appetite
- Excessive thirst
- Burning sensation
- Acid reflux
- Fever related Diarrhoea
Effect of Shadanga Paneeya on Dosha
- Balances Vata and Kapha. Alleviates aggravated Pitta.
Medicinal Use of Shadanga Paneeya
- Since Vata is naturally being deposited in the body during summers and scorching of the sun can be correlated to increased body heat, i.e. Pitta, this Shadanga Paneeya balances both of them.
- It can be given in fevers of summer-origin.
- Effect on Ama– Ama relates to toxins that accumulate in the body (causing Ama-Visha), due to mal-ingestion habits and bad digestion. Shadanga Paneeya is capable of detoxification.
- It quenches the excessive thirst caused due to excessive heat and the aggravated Pitta dosha.
- Effect on Agni– Deepana and Pachana- It improves the quality of bodily digestive fire thus improves digestion.
Preparation of Shadanga Paneeya
- Coarse powder of each of the drugs mentioned above is taken.
- 1 part of these drugs are mixed in equal proportion by weight and boiled with 64 parts of water, i.e., 10gm of total mixture is taken and accordingly, 640 ml of water is taken.
- Flame/heat is simmered and the mixture is allowed to boil till half.
- It is let to cool down and then stored in a flask.
- It may be consumed like normal water in summers.
- It may be stored up to 12 hours, preferably to be finished as soon as possible.
Note– This was the preparation as per the classical texts. The resultant taste might not be liked by some people, so here is a modification in the preparation. Instead of using the above-mentioned ratios, one may use water 128 times the quantity of dry drugs used.
Dosage of Shadanga Paneeya
- No dosage, in particular, has been mentioned in the texts but a healthy person can easily drink this preparation about half a cup frequently throughout the day.
- Whereas, one may prefer to replace normal water with Shadanga Paneeya for the patient of fever.
Side-Effects of Shadanga Paneeya
- There are no such side effects of Shadanga Paneeya as of record.
- One may consume luke-warm Shadanga Paneeya if susceptible to sore throat and diseases of respiratory origin.