Having optimum immunity against infectious diseases is good for all times. Today, we are in the time, that it is obviously required to be strong. Do you think you have a compromised immune system? Take it easy. We are herein providing you with handy tips to enhance your immunity and help your kith and kin.
According to the principles of Ayurveda, Vyadhikshamatva, the body’s resistance is not only essential for the prevention of disease but also speedy recovery from the ailment. Ojas, Bala is considered to be responsible for the complete well-being, intellect, and the immunity.
Ayurveda presents some daily life modifications which assist us in maintaining optimum Ojas. Ayurveda focuses on these strategies for acquiring or enhancing immunity:
a. Rasayana– Group of drugs or medicines that are health-promoting, rejuvenating, providing resistance against diseases and lengthen the life span.
b. Dinacharya– Ayurveda describes proper daily regime to be followed for a long, blessed and healthy life.
c. Vyayama or Yoga– Daily exercise of up to 50% of one’s capability stimulates good metabolism of body. Yoga is one of the most efficient and practical way of boosting the body’s defence mechanism. It is a time-tested art that strengthens the body and also relaxes the mind. Any Yogasana can be practiced, there is nothing to bother about. The focus should be on the Breath while forming the pose.
d. Satmya is suitability. The body becomes comfortable with the habits addicted since birth. These habits ideally good or bad, do not seem to affect health largely.
Analytically, Suryanamaskara is the go-to pose, since it is easy, relaxing, and works on most of the muscles of the body.
Immune System Boosting Tips
- Beginning the day by the first light– Waking up early in the morning. One should wake up approx 45 minutes before sunrise, as per Ayurveda.
- Routine head-to-toe warming up exercises, or active training, according to our body’s needs.
- Yoga- Keeps the muscles active and corners stress and anxiety.
- Walking- Walking or jogging keeps laziness away.
- Inhalation of Fumes–
- Burning or setting up of Aromatic medicinal herbs in small sacs outside the rooms of Pregnant women, new born babies, people with infectious diseases and in times of epidemics and pandemics have proved effective in preventing diseases since ancient times.
- The evolution of this ritual is observed today as incense sticks and/or Aromatherapies.
- Inhalation of fumes of Camphor (kapur), Cloves, Gum Guggul, Mustard seeds (Sarso) and Indian Copal tree (Raal) is beneficial as these are antimicrobial in nature, thus marking their significance in Hawana (Holy Fire in Hindus). The scientific researches have shown these fumes bring in calm and solitude, help in achieving peace of mind and provide relief from anxiety and depression.
- Inclusion of spices and herbs in daily diet that are advantageous for improving health. These herbs help in cleansing toxins from the body and in-turn give body the much needed boost in immunity. These are anti-oxidants, immunomodulators, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and help in digestion.
- Basil Leaves- The Holy Tulsi is efficient in strengthening Respiratory System. It is “Elixir of Life”.
- Ginger (Adraka) Fresh or dried powder (Saunth/ Shunthi)
- Garlic (Lahsuna)- Effective against prevention of sinusitis and becterial infections.
- Turmeric (Haldi)- The warmth of Turmeric heals sore throat, cough and other Respiratory Tract infections.
- Black Pepper (Kali Mirch)- Shows impressive results in infections of changing seasons.
- Clove (Launga)- Beneficial for the unsetting feeling in throat and cough.
- Cinnamon Leaves and Bark (Teja Patta and Dalchini)- Repeated doses provide relief in respiratory diseases.
Diet has been regarded as the primary form of medicine in Ayurveda.
If we eat right, we won’t need any medicine;
If we won’t eat right, no medicine can heal us.
Ayurvedic medicines that can contribute to enhancing immunity-
- Sanshamni Vati or otherwise known as Giloye Ghan Vati
- Ayush Kwath
- Aarogyavardhini Vati
- Haridra Khanda
- Prefer Sugar-free Chyawanprash, if diabetic.
- Prefer Agastya Haritaki, if history of respiratory tract problems is present.
- Shadanga Paneeya
- Bovine Colostrum Tablets
I am an Ayurvedic Physician, and while this post provides some basic information about health, it’s just a guide. The information mentioned above is for the purpose of information and awareness. If you are suffering from any medical condition you should seek medical attention urgently. Please contact us, if you want personal recommendation on immunity boosting according to your own health condition and lifestyle.
Let’s make something together.