Are you afraid to comb, because you don't want to see another batch of falling hair? Get the best of your hair this monsoons with Naturiesta.
Ayurveda refers to Hair as – Kesha. Prakriti of the body, the basic body constitution is responsible for the nature and quality of hair at large.
Know Your Hair-
Vata Hair Type:
Dry, Rough, Wavy, Frizzy, Thin, Split-ends, Unruly, Hair Fall
Pitta Hair Type:
Straight, Hair Thinning, Hair Loss, Early Greying of Hair, Lively
Kapha Hair Type:
Thick, Heavy, Curly, Soon becomes Oily after wash, Lively
*Note: Our body constitution is a mix of three doshas in varied ratios. Therefore, everyone can depict a mix of characteristics of these doshas.
In particular, no reference about the production of hair has been mentioned in Ayurveda. Some sporadic references from Charaka Samhita, Sushruta Samhita and Ashtanga Hridaya say that hair is the waste product of Bone. Another renowned author of Ayurvedic texts comments that the hair is the byproduct of bone marrow. Conclusively, reduced hair quality can imply diminished quality of bone formation. Quality of bones in the body also depends upon the nature of Vata in the body. Vata aggravation can lead to joint problems and weakness of bones, which can further lead to poor quality of hair.
The imbalance can be due to our malpractices, or due to the natural causes. We simply need to eliminate factors responsible for vitiation of Vata.
Include These In Your Routine During Monsoons-
- Amla– Indian Gooseberry– You can choose to have it as Fresh Fruit, or in powder form, juice form, dried candy, or murabba (preserved-sweetened form). It has other health benefits like improving immunity, balancing digestive fire, slow down the greying of hair, when consumed first thing in the morning.
- Triphala– It is an Ayurvedic preparation of three drugs- Amla, Haritaki and Vibhitaki. These have magical effects on treating the fungal infections, bacterial infections, dryness of skin and hair health. Triphala can be consumed in powder form or Ghee preparation (available in Ayurvedic stores as – Triphaladya Ghrita) for achieving dandruff and bacteria-free scalp.
- Proteins– Proteins are responsible for the integrity of bones, and thus hair quality. It is advised to avoid heavy proteinaceous diet. These mentioned sources of protein can be consumed in moderate amounts in Monsoons-
Whole Moong beans,
Peeled Moong beans,
Soy Milk Tofu,
Lifestyle Modifications for Monsoons-
- Making a schedule-
- Sleep-wake cycle: Being awake till late in the night and sleep till late in the morning is a major Vata-aggravating factor. Disturbance of circadian rhythm causes several problems like depression, sleep disorders, obesity, diabetes, digestive system, and excretory system.
- Meal Timings: Body asks for proper discipline to function properly and have a proper metabolic rate. Altering the meal timings and skipping on meals leads to disturbance of enzyme secretions, thus leading to gastric troubles.
- Managing Stress and Anxiety– During stressful times disturbance of sleep and meals can indeed throw off the body’s functions. Yoga and meditation help keep stress and anxiety away.
First and foremost is a self-tried method- I applied the strained water from boiled rice and let it sit for about 30-40 minutes. Hair-fall was much reduced while washing my hair and afterwards too.
- Other Variations
Bottle up about 2-3 tsp of rice in a glass jar with 300ml water for 24 hours. This fermented rice water is sprayed to hair evenly and washed after half an hour.
Beware with oil application– Perspiration over the scalp in this season does not let the oil into the hair roots, and makes the hair look flat even after washing. Either opt-out of oil application in this season or just apply along the length of the hair.
Make Use of Essential Oils- The sweat, dirt and humidity in the atmosphere lay the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and fungus to grow on the scalp leading to hair fall and itchy scalp. You can add 4-5 drops of Essential oils like Tea-tree oil or Neem oil or Rosemary oil to the hair mask of your choice.
Hair Mask For Monsoons-Hair Problems-
Olive Oil + Banana Mash mask application along the length of hair evidently diminishes the frizz and does not let more split-ends to develop.
Application of Aloe-vera gel (fresh or store-bought) relieves the itchy scalp and keeps the hair fresh and bouncy.
Application of Onion Juice to the roots of hair is the remedy for seasonal dandruff and itchiness of scalp.
All Hair Problems relating to Monsoons–
Curd (according to the length of hair) + Amla Powder + Mulaithi Powder + Honey- this combination acts against all the seasonal problems relating to hair.